Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Anemic Goat Won't Get Up

GoatWorld 411 & 911 » Goat 911 Emergencies Only! » Anemic Goat Won't Get Up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Maggie Leman
Username: maggieleman

Post Number: 4467
Posted From: 50.52.169.202

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There may be another kid. Is she passing the placenta? You can give some Magic solution to give her some energy and also offer some very warm water to drink. To make Magic solution mix together one part molasses, one part vegetable oil and 2 parts Karo corn syrup, blend with a bit of warm water to thin it some. Give 1 to 2 ounces (30 to 60 cc), you will have to use a large syringe or turkey baster to drench her, she will not take it on her own. You can give liquid Children's Motrin once every 8 hours at 1 cc per 10 pounds for pain. I would try to put the kid on her teat, even with the doe laying down to get her to nurse. If this doesn't work you can milk 3 to 6 ounces of colostrum out and bottle or tube feed it to the kid. The kid NEEDS to have some nourishment within an hour of birth.
Maggie Leman
Goat 911 Capri Medic
919 596 0984
maggidans@msn.com
www.maggidans.com

Cosme (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 98.208.63.83

Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my 2 year old doe gave birth to triplets the first one came out tail first and we helped but the head was stuck because of 2nd goat coming out on top of 1st goats head and we helped get them out but both were dead 3rd came out 20 min later and was ok but my doe not able to get up she was going thru a long labor and im afraid she tore her uterus and vet has not answered my messages and called other vets for info but riddiculous pricing more than i paid for doe and no helpful info found onlin please help

(Message approved by maggieleman)

Heron Kennedy
Username: heron

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 108.12.234.58

Posted on Friday, June 29, 2012 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When my goat was anemic, we treated her with iron and b vitamins, and she became alert, but could not stand. We had great success with doing sort of "physical therapy", by lifting her and very gradually putting her weight on her legs.It took a couple of weeks, as she had been on deaths door at first, but with encouragement and diligence she was able to walk on her own again. Just do not over exert your goat. Be gentle but determined. Good luck!

Maggie Leman

Post Number: 4324
Posted From: 50.55.159.106

Posted on Friday, January 06, 2012 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is a balanced calcium rich liquid or paste used to treat goats, sheep and cattle with hypocalcemia, also called milk fever or pregnancy toxemia. You can get it at many feedstores (it will probably be labeled for cattle) under many brand names beside CMPK (which stands for Calcium, magnesium, Potassium and Phosphorus) or MFO (Milk Fever Oral). There is one specifically for goats called Goats Prefer Calcium Drench. You can use any of them. On line livestock supplies such as Jeffers and Valley Vet carry these products. She really needs something right away. Give 1 to 2 ounces 3 to 4 times a day until she is entirely normal and then give 1 or 2 a day until she kids. You may need to give her a dose daily for a week after she kids.

Calcium is vital for muscle function. Low calcium causes weakness and a slower heart and breathing rate. Too low and her heart may stop. Calcium is required by the uterus for contractions. Late prgnancy fetuses are a heavy drain on the doe's calcium reserves. This can happen to older, thin goats because their muscles and bones do not have the necessary calcium reserves. It can happen to fat does who can't eat enough food to keep up with calcium and other nutritional needs. It can happen to does carrying multiple fetuses.
Maggie Leman
Goat 911 Capri Medic
919 596 0984
maggidans@msn.com

eric hollar (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 76.6.252.118

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what is cmpk and where can i buy it

(Message approved by admin)

Maggie Leman

Post Number: 4323

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With her low temp you probably need to start treating for pregnancy toxemia. This requires giving a balanced calcium supplement. You can use CMPK or MFO or any paste or liquid supplement used for treating cattle for Milk Fever. Give 1 to 2 ounces every 3 hours until she is completely back to normal (especially her temp). Then give 2 times day until she delivers. In a pinch you can start by giving a handful of TUMS (or any antacid tablet that has calcium). You may need to crush them up in syrup and drench her with it. Most goats won't just eat them. Give 10 to 15 tabs each dose. The CMPK type stuff works much better. Pregnancy toxemia will kill unless treated. She will get worse soon. Once they are down you usually can't bring them back without professional vet help.

Check her lower inner eyelids if they are pale deworm her too.
Maggie Leman
Goat 911 Capri Medic
919 596 0984
maggidans@msn.com

Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

her tem is low it is 100.2 i do use the injectable ivermectin i feed a 16% goat feed daily and she has hay free choice should i go ahead and start worming her again its been about 3 months

Maggie Leman

Post Number: 4321

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you use the injectable ivermectin? Take her temperature. If it is low (you can compare her temp to a normal healthy goat, but if it is 101 or lower) this could be pregnancy toxemia. I recommend giving CMPK or MFO or any preparation for treating Milk Fever in cattle. Give 1/2 to 1 ounce 3 to 4 times a day until she is normal then once or twice a day until she kids. You may need to continue it for a week or so after she kids.

What are you feeding? Goats in late gestation may need more concentrated nutrition in the form of grain and/or alfalfa hay to meet their calcium requirements.

You might also start her on B Complex injections.

Deworming is only the first step for recovery. It can take a very anemic goat 3 to 4 months to replace the red blood cells. With her being pregnant this makes recovery even more complicated. Essentially the fetuses act like a parasite.
Maggie Leman
Goat 911 Capri Medic
919 596 0984
maggidans@msn.com

Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i wormed her with ivermectin at a slightly higher dose than you recomended i gave a cc and a half per 25pnds of body weight she is bred and she is wobly when she gets up but once i get her up she can stand for about 15 to 20 mins then when she tries to lay down she just kinda falls like she doesnt have the leg strenght to hold herself up

Maggie Leman

Post Number: 4320

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look at her lower inner eyelids. If they are pale pink or white she is still wormy. What did you deworm with and how much did you give? Safeguard and Panacur are mostly ineffective unless given at 1 cc per 5 to 10 pounds for 3 to 5 consecutive days. Even then they may not work. I recommend using ivermectin injectable for cattle and giving 1 cc per 25 pounds (be sure you do not underdose!) give and extra cc to be sure you give enough, it is very safe. Give for 3 consecutive days and repeat in 2 weeks. Give B Complex injectable at 1 cc per 20 pounds once a day by SQ injection for a couple of weeks. This helps promote appetite, good nerve function and help heals the gut. Give iron dextran or ferrodex at 1 to 2 cc by SQ injection once a week for 3 to 4 weeks to help build red blood cells (this works much better than giving an oral iron supplement).

Is she pregnant? This could be pregnancy toxemia. But most goats with this also lose their appetite.

When she stands does she act drunk, circle, stargaze or pull her head towards her shoulder? Does she seem blind? This could be goat polio (polioencephalomalacia). This is caused by a thiamin (vitamin B1) deficiency. The only treatment for this is relatively high doses of thiamin given frequently. You can use FORTIFIED B Complex (this formulation has 100 mg/ml of thiamin) Give at 1 cc per 20 pounds by SQ injection every 3 to 4 hours for the first 24 to 36 hours. Then give twice a day for another 5 to 7 days. Give a probiotic to restore the intestinal flora that produces thiamin.
Maggie Leman
Goat 911 Capri Medic
919 596 0984
maggidans@msn.com

Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 07:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have an 8 year old nubian doe that is loosing weight and i noticed this morning she is having trouble getting up she is still eating and acts ok has a slight discharge in her nose that is clear with a little white in it she is up to date on her worming whta can i do to fix this.

Maggie Leman
Username: mleman

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 71.111.213.64

Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What did you deworm with? How much did you give? Many dewormers are not effective anymore (such as Safequard and Panacur). Most dewormers must be given at 2 to 5 times the horse or cattle dose to be effective. Some of the so called "new" goat dewormers are just repackaged and relabeled cattle dewormers. They are "safe" and they are approved for goats but they may not be effective. How much of the injectable iron did you give?

You can give the Red Cell at 1/3 to 1/2 the horse dose once daily but be aware it is possible to overdose on iron. I don't think that one dose a day of the Red Cell will do any harm though. The injectable iron is much better absorbed than iron supplements given orally. You can give the injectable iron once a week for 3 to 4 weeks. Give 1 to 2 cc by SQ injection.

You may need help to lift her to her feet. Try using a towel or blanket as a sling, passing it underneath her and using it to lift her up. If she can't stand on her own you will need to get her up and "drape" her across a hay bale to let the circulation return to her legs. You will need to exercise and massage her legs at least 4 times a day for 20 to 30 minutes until she can stand again. Once a goat is down for more than a day or two their muscles can permanently contract to the point that they can't stand up again.

I also suggest starting her on Fortified B Complex (this one has 100 mg/ml of Vitamin B1) at 1 cc per 20 pounds once or twice a day. This promotes healing of the gut and good appetite, it also promotes good nerve function. Give a probiotic once or twice daily to restore her digestive microbes.

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 206.72.22.61

Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My doe was dewormed 5 days ago but has gone down hill since then. I have treated her this morning with baby pig iron and I also have red cell but I was worried about giving it at the same time. She is eating and very alert but I cannot get her up.
How do I get her up? When should I give her the red cell?
Lynnel

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page